Wednesday, April 20, 2011

my little champ

today i had to take my little gray to get his shots.  this is the third time he has had to get them (i like to spread them out, as to not overwhelm his little system).  



it is the saddest thing as a mother to have to take your precious little baby, all smiles and giggles, to get something that you know is going to wipe that smile right off his face.  something that you know is going to hurt him.  it is things like this that make being a mother so hard.  though you know it is good for them, you almost want to walk right out of the doctor's office to protect them from the pain.  


i finally mustered up the courage to take him at 3:30.  when they called us in my heart sank.  they tell you to lay your baby on the table and hold his hands.  as i did this he looked at me with the hugest smile.  "oh, please don't smile at me," i thought...the nurse laughed and said he had no idea what was coming.  i almost burned her with my glare....it was not funny.  one, two, three....poke!  his smile quickly turned into realization as the pain hit, and he started to cry.  



but to my astonishment, it didn't last.  as soon as i picked him up he was instantly comforted.  my heart melted.  to me, that is the greatest blessing of being a mother.  having the power to so completely console someone so precious.  it seemed that he completely forgot about the shot, and he even turned and gave the nurse a huge smile.  


ultimately...it was harder for me than it was for him.  i agonized over it, and he forgot about it in ten seconds.  my little gray is so brave.  he will forever be...


my little champ.

1 comment: